Quick Reference Guide for Buying, Storing and Serving Cheese
Author: Michael Colucci
Cheese is more than just peeling back the wrapper on a slice of American cheese. There are proper buying, storage and serving procedures that will help maintain freshness and ensure enhanced flavor and texture.
When buying cheese consider these three items.
1) Where to Shop
- Choose a reliable source such as a specialty market or gourmet grocery store.
- Find a cheese only market or a cheese restaurant. Many large metropolitan areas have restaurants that serve only cheese and wine.
- Shop at a gourmet food store that specializes in cheese.
2) Amount to Purchase
- Buy only what will be consumed with in a few days. Flavors and aroma of fine cheeses change over time in a home refrigerator.
3) Characteristics of Cheese
- Cheese should present the characteristics of that particular style. The interior should not have cracks, mold or discoloration in any form.
- Natural rind cheeses have a rustic appearance. The rind on the outside of these cheeses is a side product of production.
Blue or Roquefort styles will have some mold and cracks
About the author
For free cooking recipes visit Daily Recipes or www.dailyrecipes.net
You are granted the right to reprint this article but the title and content must remain unchanged and the authors name and contact information must be included.
Powered by CommonSense CMS script - http://www.sensesites.com/