Quantitative GMAT Success - 5 Reasons Mental Vedic Math Works Magic in Quant Section
Author: Shahryar Badar Khan
Calculation speed and accuracy usually prove to be inversely proportional in a timed GMAT mock. It is not about 700 plus score at top B-schools like Harvard, Wharton and Sloan. It is the 99 percentile barrier that matters for top MBA programs.
Anybody can solve the GMAT Quant in 4 hours but you have only 75 minutes to complete the quant section. 37 questions on Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry can change the name of your B-school and the course of your career.
You have done your research. The Quantitative questions are divided into two sections:
1. Problem Solving
2. Data Sufficiency
You work out the average calculation on your calculator-- 2 minutes per math question?Yes indeed. It is exactly 2.027027027027, a non-repeating rational number too enormous for an average calculator to hold in LCD display. But I can bet you will be able to hold this infinite math number in your mind for the rest of your life.
Why? Because mind works on pattern recognition and once your mind detects a pattern, it can remember it for long. Ancient Indian sages knew this and much more and their observations led to Vedic Math, derived from the Hindu holy books called Vedas. Today Vedic Math is an open secret thanks to the brilliant scholar Swami Bharati Krishna Tirtha (d. 1960).
So here are 5 reasons to learn Vedic Math for your GMAT best score:
1. Beat the Calculator: As calculator is not at all allowed, you need to spend precious time on basic operations like addition, subtraction, division and multiplication. With Vedic Math you can boost your calculation speed 10-to-15 times. Unbelievable but true!
2. Double-check your Answer in 6 seconds: Vedic Mathematics allows you to double-check your answers mentally in simple, easy manner which can boost your score way up. Remember in Computer Adaptive tests like GMAT, GRE etc, a wrong answer not only means lost marks on that question but also that the next question is below medium level of difficulty and hence has less weightage. This loss can be significant if you do not manage right answers, especially in the beginning.
3. Most Significant Digit First: As the Vedic Math calculations are done from left to right, you can intelligently choose the right option without wasting time on fully solving the quantitative questions. Have no qualms about it: GMAT is about picking the right option in the given multiple choice question. No less and no more.
4. Mental Math with Minimum Scratch Work: Remember to save time and also paper. Do not forget your entire Scratch Booklet has only 10 pages. You will need it badly like paper soap in the middle of a jungle. By mastering mental Math, you economise this limited resource for difficult questions in both sections.
5. Superfast Arithmetic and Algebra Shortcuts: Vedic Math is not only about speedy calculation. It is an entire parallel system of Math with many comprehensive (and fast) tricks and techniques for Algebra and Arithmetic.
Always remember that Quantitative Section for exams like GMAT or GRE is not about method -- you can choose any. It is about speed and accuracy-- so race towards your dream MBA with Vedic Math.
For Fast Mental Math Vedic Tricks, visit http://www.glad2teach.co.uk/fast_maths_calculation_tricks.htm
About the author: The writer of this article 'Shahryar Badar Khan' is the Academic Director of Glad2teach, a website dedicated to making Math really simple and learner-friendly for everyone.
To watch amazing Vedic Math Videos you can visit Glad2teach website and learn 30 EasyCal Math Tricks.
Anyone can calculate faster than a speeding calculator ...
Powered by CommonSense CMS script - http://www.sensesites.com/